Weekly Wisdom

You better cut that pizza into four pieces, I'm not hungry enough to eat six.
-- Yogi Berra

Thursday 9 February 2012

Real Nice Presents: HOT SINCE 82 @ Westbourne Studios 10th Feb 2012

Around five years ago I found myself in the basement of an enormous house in Bristol, a white house, inside and out. Although the particular room I was in was covered floor to ceiling in tin foil and had a budget laser whipping around in no particular direction making me feel extremely ill, to the point where upon being introduced to an exceptionally good looking girl, I vomited on my own shoe, explained that “usually I was much cooler” (only just), before making a swift exit. The night continued to go downhill and at 5am I woke in a gutter at least 800 yards from the house, wearing just my boxers. Strong.


Each time I ventured down to the West from my beloved Leeds a similar scenario ensued, in fact I remained in a state of perpetual miasma for the entirety of my further education. West Yorkshire doing it’s very best to break me whilst Bristol egged it on, and visa versa.

Even though I aged several years, put on several stone, lost more than a few marbles along with almost all my dignity. I have fond memories of my jaunts down the M1, around the dismal Birmingham and down the final, exciting stretch of M5 towards the promised land. One of the memories, or perhaps I should say many, that stick where others have faded, are those of watching Ben Real and Sam Nice graduate (not necessarily from Uni) from spinning in living rooms and basements, to taking down thousand strong crowds in Bristol’s Motion, one of the UK’s biggest nightclubs, with a  smelting pot of cranked Electro that would bring Rasputin back from the grave. Flat peaks and Fat Beats. Real Nice.

Time has lapsed, and like fine wine, cheese, and the Olsen twins, Real Nice have matured with class into the Dynamic Deep House Duo they are today. I would even accredit some of my reasonable mixing skill and taste for “the beat” to watching them having a hell of lot of fun behind the wheels of steel. The first song I ever attempted to mix in a club was done with the watchful eyes of both Ben Real and Sam Nice in Edinburgh, I did alright.

Tomorrow night you all have a chance to sample the vintage as Real Nice Presents Noir Music’s ‘Hot Since 82’ at The Westbourne Studios in Notting Hill. Not only will you be able to absorb some of the best Deep House and Future Disco on planet Earth, you’ll be able to hear it through Bassline Productions’ very own Opus Sound System. It’ll be crisper than Walkers.
Ya Dig.

http://www.facebook.com/events/325246734164060/

http://basslineproductions.co.uk



1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete